There isn’t too much better than a fresh, clean smelling dog.
However, as any pet owner will know, keeping your dog smelling great can be a challenging task at times.
From raising a puppy where everything is a novelty and must be explored through to fully grown pets with an eye for finding trouble and the muddiest of puddles on walks.
Not only is it important to keep your dogs coat feeling and smelling fresh for hygiene reasons but it is also a lot nicer to have a house trained dog who doesn’t scare away visitors with their fierce odor.
Compare 3 Great Smelling Shampoos for Your Pet
If you’re anything like us it might seem like there just aren’t enough hours in the day, and browsing through 100’s of similar dog shampoo products might not sound like your idea of fun!
If that’s the case, we’ve put together a quick round up table, breaking down the price, and core benefits of the top 3 best smelling dog shampoos around.
If you do need more time we have individually reviewed each product below, listing 5 of the best-scented dog shampoos in detail and how they can help combat your best friends odor problems.
A growing number of dog owners are becoming more aware of the importance of keeping their pets clean and smelling fresh. Not only is this vital to keeping your home clean; it also helps improve the health of your pet.
Now, if your dog’s fur is constantly coated with mud and dirt, you wouldn’t want them cuddling up next to you, right?
This goes without saying, in fact not only would it put a stop to cuddle time but might also see you spending less time with them in general, and no one wants that.
Luckily, keeping your dog smelling great doesn’t take too much effort.
However, finding the right shampoo product is crucial, and this guide will explore exactly how you can go about choosing the perfect shampoo to control your dog’s odor.
Although it might seem a straightforward task, finding the perfectly scented dog shampoo for your pet is something that should be considered carefully.
Your dog will have their own natural scent that needs to be factored into the processes, and the size and breed of your pet can also affect the shampoo that is most suited to your best friends coat.
It is also important to remember that although you want your dog to be smelling fresh, you don’t want to damage their fur or irritate the skin. This means the ingredients used are also worth considering and what ingredients to look out for are explored in more detail below.
How to To Control Your Dog’s Odor
You may often find yourself asking, why does my pup smell so bad?
Well, they don’t! However just like us humans, a dog’s odor will change depending on the amount of sweat they produce, and how much exercise they do.
Not only that but dogs are also more likely to come home from a walk having passed through a messy puddle or 3, and unlike us, they can’t walk through the door and slip their coat straight off.
Luckily there are many ways to combat your dog’s odor, and the number #1 best way to do this is to bath your dog regularly.
Bathing your dog with a scented shampoo will help fight odor at the source and stop your dog from building up too much of a stench.
The second best way, which is related to the first but just as important is to wash your dog thoroughly.
Now we’re sure most of you reading this may skip over this point, saying “yeah, yeah, we know how to wash our dog!” however it’s important that you do the job properly!
Although it may be tempting to give your dog a quick shower after returning from a walk (of course there’s nothing wrong with that) it may be better to hold off and devote some more time to the grooming process. If you really want to get your dog smelling great, then you need to wash them properly.
To do this, you need to check in all the places you might be tempted to skip if you’re in a rush and just trying to get the job done.
This includes around their legs, paws and between your dog’s toes to prevent any build up of nasties of one type or another.
You should also check your dog’s ears for infections and give your dog’s coat a really good scrub.
Once you’ve done this, you can be more confident that your dog will back to smelling as fresh as they did as a puppy, however even with all this in mind if you haven’t chosen the right product then you’re back at square one.
Choosing a scented shampoo that lasts and isn’t too overpowering for your dog’s senses is vital.
What Fragrances Make Up The Best Smelling Dog Shampoos?
When choosing the best dog shampoo for smelly dogs, always make sure to choose only those with natural ingredients if possible to avoid irritating your dog’s skin.
Below we take at five of the best smelling dog shampoos around and throughout the process of attempting to identify which product we preferred we placed an emphasis on those that used natural fragrances and moisturizers.
These include aloe vera, oatmeal, lavender and real vanilla.
By adding these natural ingredients to their products, leading brands have avoided the need to add artificial or potentially harmful alternatives.
As well as lavender and real vanilla, citrus and chamomile were other natural fragrances we come across when carrying out our comparisons.
It was great to see the different scents being used and we highly recommend trying some different products if the first natural choice you go for doesn’t quite sit right with you or your pet.
Benefits of Great Smelling Dog Shampoos
The following are just a few benefits of why using a scented dog shampoo for odor control is a must:
- Removes ticks, fleas, and germs – Various great-smelling dog shampoos are formulated to remove germs, ticks and fleas gently from your dog’s coat and skin.
- Maintains hygiene – This is probably the biggest reason why you’d want to shampoo your dog.It not only keeps your dog clean but also removes any bacteria and disease-causing germs that your pet may pass onto everyone in your household.
- Maintains the pH level of your dog’s skin – The pH level of a dog’s skin ranges from 2.2 to 7.5.Shampoos made for humans strip your dog’s skin of its pH, causing redness, dryness, and rashes. Dog shampoos are designed in such a way that the pH level of your dog’s skin stays within the normal level.
- Long lasting scene – This is by far the most common question we get asked about dog shampoos.Yes they may be great at killing off fleas or removing any resilient dirt particles, but how long does the scent last?That’s because there is nothing better than a great smelling dog after bath time, who wouldn’t want this to last forever?The top 5 best smelling dog shampoos reviewed below all have long-lasting scents meaning you won’t have to bathe your pet everyday to get that fresh dog smell back.
- Makes cuddle time more enjoyable – Dogs are very social creatures; they love being close to their owners.Keeping your dog clean and smelling great will make cuddling more enjoyable – no pungent odors, no germs, no allergens.
We hope the benefits outlined above will motivate you to try some of the fragranced dog shampoo products currently available.
We’re confident that after trailing at least one of the shampoos we reviewed for this guide that you will no longer have to complain to your significant other, family or friends that your dog’s odor is causing problems to your sensitive nose.
Top 5 Best Smelling Dog Shampoos
- Particular Paws Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- Groom Professional Baby Fresh Shampoo
- Fresh N Clean Pet Shampoo
- Isle of Dogs Silky Coating Shampoo for Dogs
- Nootie Cherry Blossom Dog Shampoo
If you’ve reached this far we’re confident that you will fight off your dog’s stinky odor once and for all!
However now is where it gets serious, with so many beautiuflly scented dog shampoo products to choose from it is essential you choose the right one.
If you’re not sure which shampoo is perfect for your dog, below is a list of the top great-smelling shampoos that are currently available.
If you haven’t chosen the best smelling dog shampoo yet, here is a list of the top 5 dog shampoos that will not only keep your dog clean but will also make leave them smelling awesome for weeks:
Do you ever dream of smelling those cherry blossoms in Japan?
Okay maybe that’s just us, but if you’re a fan of cherry, then you’ll love the Nootie Exhilarating Japanese Cherry Blossom Pet Shampoo.
Its cherry blossom scent is combined with a little rosemary to help soften your dog’s coat and stimulate their senses.
Being soap- and paraben-free, you won’t have to worry about your dog’s skin drying up and becoming flaky since it uses only natural ingredients that will soothe and gently clean your dog’s coat.
To sum up this shampoo: No harsh chemicals, no sulfates; nothing but long-lasting fragrance and gentle cleansing action to keep your dog’s coat in its best condition.
This dog shampoo is a little on the expensive side but hey, they say you get what you pay for, and in this case, we have to agree.
This shampoo has a floral scent of Jasmine and Vanilla(two of our favorites) and not only will it cleanse your dog’s coat but also softens and detangle any matting.
In addition, this amazing product also helps strengthen your dog’s hair with the ingredients Aloe Leaf Juice and Panthenol.
If you love your dog having that silky coat feel after bathing them, then this product is the shampoo for you.
Now if you’ve done any prior research before arriving at this guide then you’ve probably had enough of reading about shampoos that promise long-lasting fragrances.
However, the Fresh’n Clean Scented Dog Shampoo is one of the only few products we found that does what it says on the tin(bottle).
At an extremely reasonable price, this shampoo delivers a lot of benefits, similar to those already outlined above that has left dog owners falling in love with it.
Other pet owners we have spoken to that also purchased this product have mentioned that not only does it smell great; it also helps remove mats and tangles from the coat on which dirt, fleas, and germs can breed and we have to agree wholeheartedly.
What’s most amazing about this product is that it leaves dogs smelling clean and fresh, even as long as two weeks after use.
Groom Professional Baby Fresh Shampoo
A favorite among professional groomers and pet owners alike, the Groom Professional Baby Fresh Shampoo is infused with Aloe Vera and features an exceptional cleaning power, which is suitable for all types of colors and coat.
It is excellent for both puppies and adult dogs, making it serious contender for best smelling puppy shampoo in this roundup
Whether you have a cute little lap dog living with you in the city, or a rambunctious working dog running with you around the farm, they will be left smelling great as soon as you bathe them with this shampoo.
This really is a great, cheap option if you don’t want to spend too much on a dog shampoo that’s sure to keep your dog smelling fresh for days.
Can You Control Dog Odor Without a Shampoo?
If you’ve read the above product reviews and are still not convinced that they will be enough to combat your dog’s odor, than you may need to resort to other methods of keeping your dog smelling fresh.
There are many ways you can do this, the most popular are:
- Cleaning your dog’s coat with wipes – This technique is a little unconventional but one we hear a lot more dog owners resorting to of late.Both dog and baby wipes are gentle enough to be used on your pet’s skin so you shouldn’t have to worry about irritations and many of these wipes even contain natural ingredients which are an added bonus.
- Brush your pet regularly – Brushing is probably the most popular type of pet grooming technique out there.Quite simply because it can carried out at any time your dog takes up residence on your lap.By brushing your dog’s coat regularly, you fight off any accumulation of dirt and allergens that could be contributing to your dog’s less than pleasant odor.
- Vinegar – Now this is even more unconventional than baby wipes but bear with us. Being such a poignant product itself, vinegar can be used to combat your smelly dog’s odor sometimes just as effectively as shampoo.
As well as these alternative solutions you should also be giving your dog regular checkups, including keeping their dental hygiene to a good standard and checking their paw and claws for any dirt or uninvited creepy crawlers that might have made their way into the tightest of spots..yes, including your dog’s ears.